The Nuance Group (Australia) Pty Ltd, trading as FIRST Tax & Duty Free and Downtown Duty Free (“Nuance”) recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of our customers and other third parties who provide their personal information to us.
Personal information we collect
When used in this policy, “personal information” has the meaning given to that term in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Personal information generally includes any information that can be used to personally identify you.
We may collect the following types of personal information from you:
• residential or business address;
• email address;
• post code;
• telephone number;
• passport number;
• place of employment;
• job title;
• your intended international travel destination;
• a photograph or video surveillance recording of you if you are physically present in our stores; or
• if you are a candidate for employment, we may collect other information as further set out in our application forms or during the recruitment process. This may include information relating to your employment history, working eligibility rights, suitability for the role you are applying for, and your referee details.
We may also collect information from you that is not personal information because it does not identify you personally. This information is normally retained with your personal information and may include:
• your shopping preferences and a list of products and services you have purchased from us;
• information we require to deliver, service or fulfil warranty obligations for products or services;
• your marketing preferences, including the type of marketing materials you wish to receive and the method of delivery (email, SMS, direct mail, or other);
• information you provide to us via our customer service centre, website, application forms, or directly to team members within our stores in relation to our products and services; and
• device identification information when you use a computer, mobile phone, smart phone, tablet, or other device to browse or shop our online store (link). This information may include session cookies, your device IMEI number, IP address or MAC address.
We may use temporary (session) cookies or permanent cookies when you access our web site. This allows us to recognise your browser and track the web pages you have visited.
You can switch off cookies by adjusting the settings on your web browser.
If you send us personal information that we have not requested, or we determine that the personal information you have provided to us is not reasonably necessary or directly related to any of our functions or activities, we may de-identify or delete this information without notifying you to protect your privacy.
How we collect your personal information
Normally we collect information from you directly, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so.
Collection of your personal information can occur through the following interactions:
• when you access and use our website;
• during conversations with our team members;
• when you complete purchase orders, registrations, requests or applications for our products (by phone, in person or electronically);
• when you communicate with us directly (by email, telephone, direct mail or any other means);
• when you enter with promotions, competitions, special events, or by using devices within our stores; or
• if you are a candidate for employment, when you complete forms in relation to the recruitment and selection process, for the purpose of assessment.
We may also collect personal information about you from the following third parties:
• if you are a candidate for employment, we may collect information about you from your nominated referees, where you have authorised us to do so.
How we hold your personal information
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form.
If you provide information to us electronically we retain this information in our computer systems and databases. This includes computer software programs, internet servers, and hosted internet solutions provided by third parties.
If you provide information to us in hard copy (paper) this information is normally retained in our files and a copy is made to our electronic files.
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If we are unable to collect your personal information
If we are unable to collect your personal information, some or all of the following may occur:
• we may be unable to provide products or services to you;
• we may be unable to communicate with you to provide information about products and services that you have purchased from us, or may intend to purchase in the future;
• we may be unable to tailor the content of our marketing communications to suit your preferences; or
• if you are a candidate for employment, we may not be able to process your application for a position at Nuance.
Purpose of collection of your personal information
We collect your personal information so that we can carry out the following actions (“Purpose”):
• to provide you with products and services that you have requested from us;
• to communicate with you, including about products and services, competition results, special offers, and events which might interest you;
• to answer your questions and provide you with information or advice;
• to create orders, transaction records, agreements for the sale of products or services, accounts, tax invoices or receipts;
• provide your personal information to third parties that assist us in providing products and services you have requested, such postal services and couriers;
• carry out administration, marketing, planning, fraud and loss prevention activities, procurement, quality control and research to improve the way Nuance provides products and services to you;
• to consider and respond to complaints made by you;
• to comply with laws or regulations or to comply with any directions given by regulators or authorities; or
• if you are a candidate for employment, to assess your suitability for a position at Nuance.
Disclosure of your personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed in connection with any Purpose to any of the following:
• our employees, contractors or service providers, to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfil our obligations to you. This may include internet service providers, IT systems administrators, couriers, payment processors, and data entry service providers;
• our business advisors, including lawyers, accountants or other professional service providers, to the extent reasonably required;
• suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing and related purposes;
• if you are a candidate for an employment position involving a third party with whom we have an agreement, to that third party to assess your application; and
• if required by law, to any person authorised by such law. This may include the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, the Australian Taxation Office, or other government departments or regulators within Australia in connection with law enforcement activities.
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about products and services offered by us or our retail brands, partners or suppliers via email, SMS, or regular mail.
If you have indicated a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method wherever practical to do so.
You may opt out of receiving marketing communications at any time by responding via the channel in which you received the marketing communication, or by contacting us (see contact information below). You can unsubscribe from emails by clicking the unsubscribe link on the footer of the email communication you have received. You may also update your personal information by editing your online profile.
You may also receive marketing communications by post from our retail brands, partners and suppliers who provide goods and services within our stores, but this will only occur where you have requested that type of information from us or from a third party within our stores.
We do not provide your personal information to any other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
How you may access your information
You may access your personal information held by The Nuance Group by making a request to us.
Mail: The Privacy Officer
F1RST Tax & Duty Free
PO Box 5049
Melbourne International Airport
Tullamarine VIC 3045
You may also access your own information where it is held via on online portal by accessing your own account over the internet. Normally we will provide a record of your personal information to you via your preferred contact method (phone, email or mail), and we will not charge a fee. If your request is unlawful or may interfere with the privacy of others we may reasonably refuse to provide access to your personal information.
Correction of your personal information
If you would like us to update or amend your personal information, please contact us and we will make the requested amendments.
We may ask you to verify your identity to ensure that personal information we hold is not improperly accessed.
If you feel your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information above setting out the circumstances and reasons for your complaint.
We will respond to you by your preferred contact method if you have indicated one.
Overseas disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties and service providers located overseas in connection with a Purpose.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to the following locations:
• New Zealand - for payment processing of online orders; and
• the country in which you nominate as a delivery address – for order fulfilment (if not within Australia).
The Privacy Officer
F1RST Tax & Duty Free
PO Box 5049
Melbourne International Airport
Tullamarine VIC 3045
Candidates and employees